Saturday, February 21, 2009

Watered Down

In a big restructuring last year, I was moved to a new department because of my information management and knowledge management background. They said they needed my skills. Twelve months later there has been no progress, the organisation keeps coming up with excuses why they can’t do what’s needed. I put up a paper last December, after conducting a whole series of interviews with key stakeholders, it proposed a plan for moving forward eg to avoid reinventing the wheel, break down the silos etc. My boss said “we’re not ready for this” and asked me to water it down to something he was comfortable with, which I did. When I rewrote it, I had to take out a lot of stuff. When the new plan was tabled to the Information Management Committee, they were asking a lot of questions, which my original paper would have answered, but I had to keep quiet because my boss was there. I was very angry. But at least I got agreement to set up a Business Information Group. I set it up as a community of practice, not as a sub-committee, so they could be free to use their own energy and innovate.

No comments:

Post a Comment